This easy to prepare Mediterranean dish works equally well for breakfast or dinner. It features just a handful of ingredients and can be table ready in 30 minutes or less. As a bonus, this dish is both low carb and can be vegetarian.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper,thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1 (28 oz) can whole plum tomatoes with juices, coarsely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt, more as needed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, more as needed
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/4 cups) (or more)
- 4 large eggs (or more)
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes; stir in cumin, paprika and cayenne, and cook 1 minute.
4. Pour in tomatoes and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; simmer until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in crumbled feta.
5. Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with hot sauce.