Paški sir ( Cheese from the Island of Pag) - Considered World Best Sheep Cheese by Paška Sirana
Aged 12 months for added intensity
- Ships in an insulated package to ensure freshness
- Imported from Croatia
- A rich and flavorful cheese aged one year +
- Crumbles and melts with a gentle sweetness
- Delicious when added to gnocchi, macaroni, or risotto
Produced exclusively from the milk of the autochthonous sheep on the Island of Pag, Paški Sir is the most famous cheese in all of Croatia. This is a one-year-aged pasteurized cheese made from the sheep raised on the island of Pag, Croatia. There are a total of 40,000 sheep and 8,000 humans on the island of Pag. The sheep are a special breed, smaller than average with limited milk production. The island is windy with little vegetation, what little grass it has is in the hills, and due to the crosswinds, much of the saltwater blows over it. The sheep produce very little milk, a maximum of just a liter per day. On top of that their diet is influenced by the salty grass they eat. In total it takes 6 sheep or more to produce one wheel of cheese. Our producer is Paška Sirana. They have 200 members who together have 300 sheep. The cheese is rich and flavorful – it is not overly dry and there is a beautiful crystallinity in the texture with a gentle sweetness. Traditionally this aged cheese is served chunked and crumbled with olive oil.
- Limited stock
- We cut and vacuum seal this item by hand.
- Orders received after Wednesday will ship on Monday to ensure freshness and avoid cheese being held at the carrier over the weekend
- Not eligible to be shipped to Canada